Small Kitchen Cooking - the Start

I love food.



I have had this idea of “small kitchen cooking” for a few years now.  I love food, I love to cook but my kitchen is no professional setting.  We live in a 1920’s bungalow with a small kitchen area.  Suffice it to say, we have some cramped quarters so to do anything as easy and mundane as make coffee to preparing for a party of 50 people requires planning and coordination. There’s a lot of “’scuse me, pardon me’s”. 

I am no organizational expert mind you.  I've done personality tests that show that I am not a particular fan of order & structure.  They have their place and at times I need them, but generally it drives me coo-coo for Cocoa-Puffs to have everything too orderly and perfect.  There is something to be said for spontaneity and happy accidents.  But I need my kitchen wide open, sweetie.

I also like to cook once and eat twice. As much as I like to cook, I don’t want to spend all day in there.  If I can make something that is going to be good after a couple of times having it, I am all over that piece of cheese! Make it work for you!

So that’s the first reason: dealing with home food prep in small spaces.  Next is working with whatcha got.

I like to peruse cook books and food magazines, read blogs and watch foodie programs.  But sometimes I don’t have all the items they do or the budget.  There are times when you have to substitute and make it your own (here’s that spontaneity again). Sometimes you have to say YES to spinach because your grocer doesn’t have arugula; walnuts when pine nuts aren’t around.  Sometimes you have to work with whatcha got. McGuyver it!

Next, food should be fun.  It is something that we have to do every day, multiple times at that.  It gets boring. It gets monotonous.  But it can be exciting. We remember some of our greatest moments while at the dinner table – laughing and enjoying a meal with family and friends.  I want that each time.

I’ll share my thoughts and experiences on all of these.
Watch for more written blogs and video ones to come in the near future.
I invite you to join on Facebook or Twitter.

Tell me what you think.  Share your ideas too.
#smallkitchencooking
#workwithwhatchagot

Comments

Popular Posts