Focaccia Forte

Bread has been a central figure in my family's food experience since I was a kid. From my dad's cinnamon rolls, to garlic knots at a favorite Italian place, to crusty baguettes in France, the doughy dinning companion has been there along the way.  I'm not sure what it is about it but it's the ultimate comfort food. I still remember as a kid my mom making me toast after I had woken from a bad dream. It was like a warm, buttery hug.

Now as an adult it still factors in to most meals and when it's not there, I oh so want some. I've mostly bought bread from different vendors as I've often thought it was too involved. And there is some truth to that; there's a knack to making good bread. There's a local bakery (Betty and Bobo's) that does a great job and they're right next to a cupcake place. That's a no-brainer.

Stuffed cheese bread idea from Pinterest.
I used Betty & Bobo's Bread from New Bo City Market
The Kitchn Pull Apart Cheese Bread on Pinterest
Despite the reasons not to, I set about making focaccia about a year or so ago. At first it turned out like a flat cracker. Where was the spongey goodness I knew from some Italian restaurants? It was dry, dense and boring, quite frankly. I wondered at first if it was the yeast having gone past the "freshness" date (that's how little I baked). So I got some new stuff and tried it.

Now the recipe called for warm water. I took that to mistakenly mean practically boiling. I would warm up water in the kettle then effectively kill the yeast on contact with said scalding water. So the next loaf turned out no different: flat, uninspired. Hmm maybe it wasn't the yeast, maybe it was the temperature of the water? Yep, the latter. I was boiling the poor guys killing them before they did their job. Let's say I learned my lesson, warming the water to a perfect 110 degrees, resulting in the next loaf being much fluffier, though a dry quality persisted.

This past weekend we were invited to a lovely Italian dinner party by fun newer friends where we met some fun now new friends. For an appetizer we were asked to bring an item; cheese, wine, nuts, or bread. I signed us up for bread deciding this would be an ultimate focaccia moment.

Saturday Test - getting there, but still flat
Since I had no idea who all would be at this party, I did not want to disappoint. Who wants to bring the one stinker food item that no one can chew and ultimately spits out? Needless to say, I made a test batch the day before. Still the result was 'mah.' It wasn't terrible; it wasn't too dry, but wasn't really fluffy either.

So it was Sunday, the day of the dinner. I'll admit I was a little nervous, at least apprehensive. Betty & Bobo's were open that day. This was an Italian dinner after all. Ok, maybe that was too much pressure on myself so I lightened up. And listened to my cooking gut. I decided to lower the amount of whole wheat flour which was probably adding to the dryness and some of the lack of fluff. I also added a near tablespoon of minced garlic. This made the dough have the most delicious aroma as it raised. Wow, I could have (almost) ate it raw. Then, after shaping it, I let it sit up longer. The recipe said about 30 minutes. I left it probably for an hour allowing it to really expand.

Focaccia forte!
When the garlicky aroma filled the kitchen as it baked and the nice crust formed over a puffy middle, I knew this would be a winner. I hate to brag (ok, only a little) but it was almost perfect and the dinner party guests and hosts complimented it. Normally I might not eat my own dish leaving it for others to partake. To hell with that!  This time I helped myself to a few as it was fluffy with a nicely chewy crust and herb-garlic flavor throughout. And went nicely dipped in the requisite olive oil and aged balsamic.

Vittorre! Or what's Italian for 'win'? I'm so pleased this turned out. I'm glad I persevered after all the flat, frisbees of disappointments. Now I know what it takes to make a perfect focaccia.  And I can add this to the list of family favorites. So keep trying! Keep cooking, people!

Give it a try yourself and let me know how it turns out. Here's the recipe from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.

Tell me what you think.  Share your ideas too.
Watch for more written blogs and video ones to come in the near future.
I invite you to follow on Facebook,Twitter, Pinterest & Google+.
#smallkitchencooking
#workwithwhatchagot



Comments

  1. For the love of carbs, that is some delicious looking bread! Did you do a mixture of white and whole wheat flour? (You knew I would ask!) Do you remember the amounts? I sub whole wheat flour for the white stuff all the time without too much drama, but like you, I scale it back a smidge. Rosemary and salt on the top is the bomb. Also, thin rounds of Roma tomato, oregano, olive oil, and salt on top keeps the dough a little moister. And more pizzalike! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts