I'm sensing a trend ... my love of mushrooms and sprouts

I am seeing a trend with my work, and this trend is brown and green.

You may have noticed it too from my writing about Still 'Shroomin',  my infatuation with my new boyfriend, or how I like it shaved and Asian. That's right, I'm talking about mushrooms and Brussels sprouts. 




I have professed my love for fungi and I'll do it again. I freaking love mushrooms! I really enjoy their earthiness, complexity, and richness. I buy them regularly at the story and try to find some use for them in whatever meal I'm creating. It could be a great filling for an omelet, an addition to a potato dish, or the center piece to summer grilling. I can't get enough!

And then there is the sprout. Since I was a kid I have like Brussels sprouts. I know that is not normal. Most kids, or adults for that matter, have turned their nose at these edible buds, but not me. I love them for their simplicity, nutritional value, and overall cuteness. And I can't get enough of them either!

So what to do? I say put them together. And that's what I did with this dish: Garlic Mushroom Chicken with Sautéed Brussels Sprouts. Ok, maybe i have a third love: garlic. But that will need another post.

The chicken in this dish is rich and cream while the sprouts are simple and light, a great pairing. It's great for dinner parties or a weekday meal. Treat yourself to some of my favorites! Enjoy!


Garlic Mushroom Chicken with Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients
4 boneless skinless chicken breast
salt and pepper
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, course chopped
1/3 cup finely diced shallots (or onion)
2 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped parsley

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. Pound chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper. 

3. In a small bowl, combine chicken broth, wine, garlic, red pepper flakes, and thyme. 

4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium high head. Add the mushrooms and allow to brown for 3-4 minutes stirring occassionally making sure both sides brown. Remove mushrooms to a small bowl.

5. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides 3-4 minutes each side. This is to sear in the juices, not to cook all the way through. They will finish cooking in the oven. Remove chicken to a plate.

6. Reduce heat to medium, add the shallots to the pan and sauté for a minute, then add the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen up the brown bits. Simmer for about 8-10 until sauce reduces to about 1/3 cup. Make sure to allow to reduce otherwise the sauce will not thicken.

7. Once sauce has reduced and thickened, remove from heat, add the butter and whisk until it melts into the sauce. Add the heavy cream and mushrooms. Place the skillet back on the heat for just 30 skillet not allowing it to boil. Remove from heat, add the chicken back into the pan and scoop sauce over chicken. Place the skillet into the pre-heated oven for 6-10 minutes, or until the chick is cooked completely through, somewhere around 165 degrees internal heat. 

8. While the chicken is in the oven, prepare the sautéed Brussels Sprouts.

9. Top with chopped parsley and serve warm. 



Tell me what you think.  Share your ideas too.
#kitchensmith
#smallkitchencooking
#workwithwhatchagot


Adapted from Little Spice Jar "One skillet chicken with garlicky mushroom cream sauce" recipe

Comments

Popular Posts