Whole Lotta Whole30

I can say that, besides cigarettes, I haven't really given up anything else. I hear of people who give up alcohol or chocolate for Lent but I've never done that. Until now. And not just one thing. No. All of it. In one fell swoop. 

So that means no alcohol, no chocolate, no bread, no ice cream, no peanut butter. No fun, right?

I joined the Whole30 bandwagon and started my journey April 1st. Today is the last say and I have loved it. It has been a challenge, no doubt. I have had to meal plan days in advance, let people know before visits, avoid certain places and situations, and scour menus ahead of time. But it all feels worth it.  I have more energy, less of the ups and downs of the blood sugar roller coaster ride especially late afternoons. No more slowness the morning after having maybe one (or two) too many beers. Shirts that were tight a few months ago are feeling a lot looser.

Another interesting outcome is my awareness of what I consume. Looking at ingredient labels has become my new pastime. I zero in on words for sugar and all its forms (cane, fructose, malodextrin), legumes and their forms especially soy (which seems to be everywhere!), grains (wheat, corn, etc.), and dairy (including whey). 

So what does that leave you? A whole lotta fruits, vegetables, meats, seafood, and nuts. And a whole lotta creativity. I always like a challenge in the kitchen and this regimen has worked me overtime. And I love it!

As I mentioned earlier meal planning is hugely important. It's a great strategy for making sure you stick with the principles and not get off course and succumb to a quick carby fix. No no! I had to travel for work one week and did not plan meals ahead of time. Luckily I packed Larabars and other compliant treats but man cannot live on snacks alone. 

A key thing to do is also in line with a Small Kitchen Cooking mantra: cook once eat twice!  While you're at it, just double the recipe.  Triple it if you want! You'll have enough for the meal at hand and then some: lunches, next night's dinner, etc. 

That's exactly what I did with my version of the Whole30 book's one-dish chicken cacciatore recipe. I made enough for two nights and it stretched (at least some of it) to a third dinner with some help from other compliant ingredients each night.

This is a favorite recipe from the book. It's in one dish, it's easy, and it tastes amazing. The recipe calls for legs and thighs. I made it with just thighs one time. This time I just had four breasts. They were pretty plump so my husband and I each had one and saved the other two for the next night. That night I also added some more tomatoes to it and let it warm up slowly. I made more potatoes as a side again which there ended up plenty left over so the third night saw them go directly in the pot with more chicken broth and compliant Aidell's chicken and apple sausage for more of a stew!!! It was so good and so easy. Barely had to lift a finger to prepare!!!

Here's my take on it. See what you think. Then add some personality and make it your own! Enjoy!!!

Chicken Cacciatore

Ingredients
4 tablespoons cooking fat
1 lbs. chicken thighs (boneless)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 onion, minced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp thyme, dried
1 tbsp capers, drained
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 C chicken broth
1 tbsp fress basil leaves, roughly chopped

Directions
In a larget skillet with high edges, heat 2 tablespoons of the cooking fat over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom of the pan. Season the chicken with the salt, pepper and garlic powder and place in the pan. Sear the chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.

With the same pan still on medium-high heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of cooking fat and onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion becomes translucent. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and stir until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the capers and diced tomatoes.

Return the chicken to the pan and cover everything with the chicken broth. Reduce the heat to medium and bring everything to a simmer. Turn the heat down to low and continue to simmer (not boil) until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160F, about 30 minutes.  

Garnish with the chopped basil and serve hot with complaint roasted potatoes. Enjoy!

Adapted from the recipe found in the "Whole30 The 30-day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom" book by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig.

Tell me what you think.  Share your ideas too.
#kitchensmith
#smallkitchencooking
#workwithwhatchagot

Comments

Popular Posts